Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My Afternoon with Pamela Morgan, National Makeup Artist YSL Beauté

Last Saturday, Pamela Morgan, YSL's National Makeup Artist, made an appearance at Bloomingdale's at Tysons Corner Center. You'd better believe I made an appointment! Pamela is one of the most creative artists I know, and she has become a great friend.

I have made clear in the past that I hate photos of myself, but I wanted to show you the results of Pamela's work. I went out to dinner just so that I wouldn't have to go home and wash it off!

I asked her to show me how to use the 5 Colours Couture Palette in #11, Ballet Russes ($60). We had oohed and aahed over it when we first saw it weeks ago. I purchased it, but had not worn it. I asked Pam to use it on me, and she went to work eagerly, using all five shades. Although #11 may be the most flamboyant of the new quints, it is sold out at YSL's Web site. That amazes me.

Pam spent a lot of time on my eyes. Before that, though, she selected lip color for my "look of the day." She chose a Baby Doll Kiss & Blush in a color I would never have selected: #07, Coral Affranchi, shown below. She also selected a Gloss Volupté to make my lips sparkle: #30, Corail Lingot, also shown below.

I took swatch photos in full sun. I swatched the new Baby Doll Kiss & Blush ($40) at the top of my arm, then followed below with the Gloss Volupté ($32). At the bottom, I applied the Baby Doll Kiss & Blush and then overlaid the Gloss Volupté to show you the blended effect.

I would never have believed these shades could be flattering on me, but they were. Pamela has an extraordinary eye.

As always, I found my time with Pamela to be a treasure. If you ever get a chance to book time with her - and you should because she is always traveling - I recommend you do it. In addition to seeing an artist work, you will learn some incredible techniques and enjoy your time in her chair.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

31 comments:

Eileen said...

OMG! Holy moly! Wow! You look dramatic and gorgeous. I'm so glad you went out. I bet a few heads turned when you entered the restaurant :-). When these palettes first came out, I was sorely tempted by Ballet Russe but chickened out and bought two safe ones instead--Avant Garde and Parisienne. I regret giving this beauty a miss.

Behindthepillar said...

You look lovely. She did a beautiful job with the palette which looks quite scary to me but has given you such a chic look. Susan, London

Jo said...

You look stunning as always CG. The whole look is gorgeous, lips, cheeks and eyes. Did she use the same Baby Doll on your cheeks?

lizzybee said...

What a lovely post. I think YSL can do no wrong, and it is with great discipline that I have resisted these e/s palettes for they seem gorgeous- which segues me into your photo is simply glorious ,CG. You are beautiful and when we do get to see your picture, this point is driven home. Thanks for all you do. PS I love how the two lip products combine with each other!! XO Beth in Pgh

Charlestongirl said...

Jo, thanks! She used Mocha Garçonne (#12) - same as last time - to contour my cheekbones and a new coral one this time for the apples of my cheeks. It was a nice combo!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Eileen! Ballet Russes is still available at plenty of places. I'd spring for it. It is so pretty. She used the gold under my eyebrows, the light blue in the inner corners, the bronze mixed with the purple as a lid shade, and the pink just in the center of the lid over the iris. She blended it all so that it was seamless. She also used Sapphire gel eyeliner and my own Maybelline mascara. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Behindthepillar. She is spectacular.

Charlestongirl said...

Beth, I don't know how you are resisting. They are gorgeous new palettes. I'm wearing #8, Avant Guarde, a lot.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a stunning look CG! Can you tell where she used that bright fuchsia shade?
XO Kelly

Petunia said...

You look gorgeous!
Sounds like a fun afternoon. I am off to look at those palettes.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Wow! I really love the corals on you. It's such a gorgeous look for you, and I never would've seen you in a warm shade with your lovely fair skin. But it works! I take it the lasting power and blend ability are really good on the "Baby Doll"?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kelly,

Right over the irises of my eyes - and nowhere else. A very small area.

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Petunia. I think you will love them. I bought six!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi MamaVal,

The blendability and longevity are superb. Pam uses a blush brush (or powder blush) to apply the product on the face. It really works well and applies just the right amount of cream.

Jules said...

I have an appointment with the YSL National Makeup Artist Dell Ashley in a couple of weeks and I could not be more excited! I already love so many YSL products, but I'm most excited to learn some new techniques from him!

Eileen said...

Oh, Charlestongirl! I needed no more encouragement than your gorgeous picture. I went immediately to Nordstrom.com and ordered it :-). Thanks for giving me the application details. Now I can hardly wait to give it a go.

Charlestongirl said...

Jules, you will love Dell! Sometimes, he and Pam make joint appearances. He did my makeup years ago. I looked very snazzy.

Anonymous said...

Fran says: CG you look gorgeous! Was thrilled by the lip combo. Immediately hopped onto Strawberrynet hoping to get those colors but alas no! It's a freezing cold winter here in Sydney, Australia, so will placate myself with Prune Desire instead. It's been years since I bought YSL and I used to rock a bright orange they had which is now too harsh for my 50+ face. Love, love it. It's good to be sometimes taken out of one's comfort zone with makeup colors.

Claire said...

You look absolutely fantastic, CG! If Pamela Morgan ever come my way, I'd be sure to book an appointment with her. Lovely!

Charlestongirl said...

Claire, thank you. I hate frontal photos of myself. They show my square jaw perfectly - and I have no idea what that line on my throat is!

I was wearing a support K9 Kota T-shirt too (dressed for a lazy day), while Pam had on a body-hugging sheath that made her look like a movie star. What an odd couple we were! :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Fran, I think it might be a little new early for these new products to hit Strawberry.net. When they do, grab them! Even I, a Medicare recipient, can wear them.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, you will find several ways to wear this artsy palette. I want to see a photo!

Zenda said...

That's a gorgeous style! So fresh and vivid. Really beautiful

Resham said...

The look worked so well. You look absolutely lovely in this one. I must admit though, one has to have that artistic streak in them to use all the colors in this palette. Big Thumbs up!!

Anonymous said...

Your eyes look fabulous! And you should definitely do a coral lip again. My coloring is different from yours, so I can't do pinks the way you can. But you really got me with the coral!

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, all. My spirits were certainly lifted by your sweet comments.

I've realized this year that I can wear coral. Isn't that a hoot? Better late than never. I think it's because I have a blank canvass face.

Christina said...

Hi, Can you tell me what & which foundation was used on you?

Charlestongirl said...

Ack, Christina. I didn't ask. I will find out. We talked about the new one that's coming.

Charlestongirl said...

Christina, Pam must stay up all night! It was Le Tient Touche Éclat on BR 30.

Christina said...

Thank you so much! I'll have to take a look at it since I think we have very similar skin color.

Unknown said...

You're beautiful!